Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Music Mondays - Shakira "Hay Amores"



Today I share with you a bolero from "Love in the Time of Cholera". Shakira wrote this and "Despedida" for the film at the request of Gabriel García Márquez, the author of the novel upon which the movie is based. I've recently discovered that she holds a reputation here in the United States for her less than modest way of dancing and dressing. Because of this her art goes greatly overlooked - not to mention the fact that translating her beautiful lyrics into English is a challenge because English does not have the same poetic and lyrical qualities that Spanish possesses. However, I think the fact that Márquez asked her personally to write two songs for the movie speaks volumes of her talent in the music field.



Anyway, since I know all of you don't speak Spanish, I've taken the liberty of translating the song into English. One can find translations of these songs online (like at this song translation forum), but they are mostly literal, do not attempt to tackle the rhyming scheme and often seem flat. I've done my best to write an English version that could be sung while keeping in the original bolero style. Feedback is, as always, greatly appreciated!




Oh, my love! Just what wouldn’t I do
To be able to hold you, in my arms to enfold you
Lost in our little world
Oh, my love! Like two rivers that meet
Spinning, churning, and then smooth as silk
May we both flow into one

There are passions that grow stronger with each obstacle that meets them
Like a wine that ages making it grow sweet then
Thus my feelings for you grow each moment more

There are passions that will wait until the coldest day to flower
In a winter, blooms grow heavy on the bower
And that’s just the kind of love I hold for you.

Oh, my love! Don’t forsake that green ocean
That has seen me cry so many times
Over my memories of you
Oh, my love! Please remember that day
That day fate came and steered you away
Leaving me swept by the tide

There are passions that grow stronger with each obstacle that meets them
Like a wine that ages making it grow sweet then
Thus my feeling for you grows each moment more

There are passions that in autumn bring a bright and fragrant bower
As the trees all start to die this love will flower
And that’s just the kind of love I hold for you.
I for you… For you… That is just the kind of love I hold for you…


Since she included some variations in the lines in terms of cadence and the amount of syllables, I took some liberties in that regard. Hope it's not too confusing!

Love in the time of kittens,
Nostalgically Yours

PS: I know it's not actually Monday, but bear with me. It's midterm week and I'm under a lot of stress.

1 comment:

What do you think?